I had to take a quick break and sew a shop sample for an upcoming class I'll be teaching. I needed to have it done by tomorrow, so of course I just started it this past Monday and finished today. The bad news is that my machine problems seem to be more extensive than I thought. I think I may have bent my shank (I believe this is the right term -- the part that comes down and has the presser foot attachment). A couple weeks ago I discovered that the main free motion foot I had was bent. I wasn't sure how it happened, but I more or less bent it back into shape and have been using it fairly successfully (except, of course, the quilt-eating incident my machine had a week or so ago). Well, this class sample was the first thing I've done where I needed a quarter inch seam and I discovered, after sewing the whole main part together, that the quilt was quite short. After doing some measuring, I found that my squares that were supposed to finish at 1 1/2 inches were actually finishing at 1 3/8 inches. Oops. So now I wonder if, while I was transporting my machine in the car, maybe something pushed against the shank. Or the machine tipped and the shank ended up against something. I don't have a rigid (or any) case for moving the machine in.
So, anyway, don't look too closely at this quilt because it's far from perfect (though the waviness in the middle is just because I didn't lay it out perfectly for the photo). The bright side of this is that I can use my recent experiences as teaching points for my upcoming beginning quiltmaking class. Lemons and lemonade, blah blah blah.