Monday, October 6, 2014

Skating Dresses

Like I said in my last post, so much has happened in our lives since I was writing regularly. One of those things is that Molly has gotten involved in ice skating, and for the last year has been involved in Synchronized Skating (Synchro for short). Last year she was on the Beginner 1 team in Richmond. Here in Madison she'll be on the Beginner 2 team.

Well, let me tell you, skating dresses are expensive! So, being a sewer, I of course decided that I would just make my own. Here are some I've made so far:

First try. Not so hot. Also, too tight, and itchy!

Second dress. It's coming along!

Third dress. This one has a zipper!

Matching dresses for two skaters. This was for the holiday show.
A cross-top dress with an asymmetrical hem.

I'm getting there! The great news is that I'm making the dresses for her current synchro team! And there may be more in the works. I'm so excited I even bought a serger. It sure makes life easier!

Monday, September 29, 2014

Back in the Saddle, she said

Wow. It's been nearly a year. And the last year of posts was really bad. The truth is, I've been extremely overwhelmed. My dad died two summers ago (about a month after I posted about the new car and camper). We had to put Ollie down. And this past summer we moved (back) to Madison, Wisconsin.

Here's the deal. It's been so long that I'm just going to jump in as if I were never gone. Sound good? Great. Also, I'm going to try to be more useful in this blog and not just

blather on about what I'm making. That will start with the next post. In the meantime, here are some things I've done recently:

This is a sample quilt I did for an upcoming class at Quilt-agoius, a shop in Mukwanago, Wisconsin that deals exclusively with modern fabrics, including batiks and a good selection of Kaffe Fassett fabrics. 

The class is based on the book City Sampler/100 Modern Quilt Blocks by Tula Pink. The layout I did uses 70 blocks.

But lest you think that that is really way too big a project to make in a three session class (it is!), never fear. This is what we'll actually make in class:

But because I'm evil I'm not giving out the rest of the pattern until the end of class, when you'll be so hooked on making the blocks that you'll want to make a big one for yourself!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Finished curtains commission

Here they are:
This does nothing to enhance my image as the Queen of Neatness, I know.

It took a bit of planning to ensure that they stayed completely symmetrical.

And here they are hung in the client's home. She wanted super skinny panels. That's what she got. :-)

Monday, September 23, 2013


I've taken on a commission that's unusual for me: curtains!

Lined and everything. 

These are about as simple as curtains get, in that they have no grommets or even a rod pocket. 

I can't wait until I can show you the finished product!

Saturday, August 24, 2013

In search of pithy comeback

Internet, I need your advice. Yes, this goes for you non-quilters too. Periodically, I find myself in a conversation with someone that goes something like this:

Me: "I'm a quilter."
Her: "Oh, I don't have time for quilting."

This is typically said in a relatively snobby tone. As if I had more than 24 hours each day. I really need a comeback that is more politically correct than, "Well you seem to have time to be a bitch."

Any thoughts?

Thursday, August 1, 2013

New directions

So, I just discovered that there's a blogger app. This means ill be posting a lot more. Frankly, I only sit down at the computer two or three times during the week and chances are all of my photos won't be updated, or I am in a rush, or I just don't think of it. But now? I can dictate, take a photo, repeat ad nauseum. Whee!

And I'm going to post more non-quilting posts. I just have things to say. 

And we got a new dog! His name is Toby and he's about 20 pounds, and he's maybe a year and a half old. And I am in loooove with him!

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

St. Catherine's Commission

I recently finished a big commission for St. Catherine's School in Richmond. Every fall they have an auction to raise money for the school. The second graders (who are now rising third graders) all created blocks which I made into a quilt. In the center I appliqued the St. Catherine's daisy logo, and hand embroidered the name of the school and the grade the girls were in. I quilted the whole thing with daisies. On the back is patterened Minkee fabric (again with daisies)! This quilt is a whopping 84 x 100 inches (queen size) and had deluxe batting on the inside. And yes, I did the whole thing on my home machine!