Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Addicted to deadlines

I have a problem. I can't seem to get things done (quilting-wise, anyway) unless I have a deadline. Case in point, Brittany's quilt. I missed her graduation because I knew she didn't need the quilt until she went to college. Then, before September, I had a bunch of deadlines at work -- samples for a gift fair, class samples, etc. "Oh well," I thought, "it won't get cold in Texas for a while anyway." I worked on her quilt and had it 99% finished, and I found a flaw that I wasn't sure how to fix (I discovered a seam that had not been sewn together properly, but the quilt was all quilted). So I put it off. Then Halloween (and the associated costume) was looming. And then we lost the dog and I got cancer and things went all to hell.Front and back

I'm ready to mail it. I haven't trimmed all the threads and I haven't washed it (because I don't have a front-loader), but I'm sending it anyway. I'm so sorry, Brittany, that you had to wait this long.
How it looks on a bed.

Does anyone else have this problem? How do you get through it? I feel pretty shitty about it.
Obligatory Molly pose.

6 comments:

  1. I work way better on deadlines too. I have an advent calendar quilt that needs to be in northern Canada before the end of this month... shipping takes forever to Canada. The threads need to be cut and then it is on it's way but I have had it 99% done for at least 3 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot work unless i'm on a deadline and pushing it. Heaven forbid if I would do anything early - I would probably loose the item if it had to sit around:)
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love that quilt. Who knew that it would turn out to be so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously it's different when the quilt is a gift (at least, I guess it's different) - but you know what I always say. Finishing is just another "F" word. The quilt looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I love your quilt. I hope that you find some joy in having it done. I know she'll love it when it gets there. She probably will do a little giggle.

    I also hope that things pick up for you. My friend that had cancer, made it to remission. She just tried to focus day by day. To appreciate the smaller things and people who made her day better. She also believed in the power of the mind, and positivity. She was very supported by her church and her friends. She kept emails coming to her praying angels as she called them. AND we prayed and prayed. That is what she would say got her thru. I hope that was what you were looking for when you asked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a beautiful choice of fabrics....no wonder she loves it!

    ReplyDelete